We all know that flowers make us happy and help us to feel better, but studies have shown that house plants also offer a variety of benefits to owners. They can add more than just decoration to a room. Here are some of the ways they can improve quality of life:
• Purify the air by removing a variety of toxic air emissions and putting out clean air
• Reduce fatigue, coughs, sore throats and other cold related illnesses partially by increasing humidity levels and decreasing dust
• Make you feel calmer and more optimistic
• Reduce stress and blood pressure
• Speed up healing- Studies have shown that hospital patients who have a garden view tend to heal faster than those who face a wall
• Improve creativity by providing a release for your eyes from staring at a computer screen
• Improve your sleep – Gerbera daisies give off oxygen at night which helps you sleep and lavender is beneficial in helping to fall asleep
It is recommended that for best results about 15 plants of at least 6” diameter pots are needed for an 1,800 square foot home. Some of the most recommended house plants include dragon tree, ivy, ficus, philodendrons, spider plants, peace lilies, ferns, chrysanthemums and palms.
"Every man should be born again on the first day of January. Start with a fresh page. Take up one hole more in the buckle if necessary, or let down one, according to circumstances; but on the first day of January let every man gird himself once more, with his face to the front, and take no interest in the things that were and are past."
- Henry Ward Beecher